If you’re looking to dive into a trope where you can defy some of the more formulaic conventions in the romance genre and push the boundaries of what's expected, an enemies-to-lovers book might be your next project! In these stories, the protagonist falls for someone they should hate, and purse a relationship that compromises or challenges their core values and beliefs. The tension between characters creates a head-shaking, heart-racing, and satisfying read. It also sounds pretty fun to write!
Here’s 10 Reasons Why A Protagonist Might Fall in Love with Their Enemy
- The enemy turns out to have a heart of gold, hiding their true nature and motives behind a rough exterior.
- The protagonist and the enemy share a common goal or interest that brings them together, despite their differences.
- The enemy brings out a side of the protagonist that they never knew existed, prompting them to reevaluate their own beliefs and priorities.
- The enemy challenges the protagonist in a way no one else has, inspiring them to be a better version of themselves.
- The enemy possesses traits or abilities that the protagonist lacks, making them an intriguing and attractive figure.
- The enemy and the protagonist share a traumatic event or experience that forms a unique bond between them, creating an unconventional but powerful connection.
- The enemy and the protagonist start off as rivals, but as they spend more time together, they realize that their animosity was rooted in misunderstandings or misconceptions.
- The enemy and the protagonist come from different worlds or backgrounds, and their differences initially spark conflict, but they eventually find a way to bridge the divide.
- The enemy turns out to be more complex and multifaceted than the protagonist initially assumed, breaking down the black-and-white dichotomy of good versus evil.
- The enemy and the protagonist are forced to work together, and as they battle through external conflicts and challenges, they grow closer and develop unexpected romantic feelings for each other.
I hope these prompts help get your imagination going! Happy reading!